These 1912 pillars mark the ceremonial entrance
to Burnaby's Central Park, where one of the first stations of the BC Electric Railway
, connecting Vancouver with New Westminster, was built. The current Skytrain Expo Line
follows the original track. The park itself was originally a naval reserve
source of masts and spars, and was named to honour the wife of one of Vancouver's mayors, who was born in New York City. (1930 Major Matthews image From City of Vancouver Archives).