The building at 340 Cambie street has had many names over the years. Its life started in 1898 as the Commercial Hotel
, when this corner of the city was a magnet for the riches of the Klondike Gold Rush
. In the 1970s it was renamed the El Cid
, and featured crushed velvet wallpaper and heart-shaped waterbeds. Today it has a heritage designation due to some of its Richardsonian Romanesque
architectural features, although it's a run-down SRO hotel
. Sandwiched in between the hotel and the massive Flack Block is Vancouver’s smallest building, known only as Rose Brothers Barbers
, after one of its tenants over its 125-year-old life. (Photo courtesy City of Vancouver).