What's New

Wing Sang Building
added January 19, 2021
Wing Sang Building
Yip Sang was a rags-to-riches immigrant who built 51 East Pender Street in 1889, shortly after the fire that levelled Gastown. The Wing Sang Company was a going concern in the early 1900s, providing labour to the railway, and importing rice, silk and opium, among other ventures. When Yip died in 1927, his company had extensive real estate holdings throughout the city. This building is the oldest in Chinatown, and now houses Bob Rennie's extensive art collection

Columbia House
added January 19, 2021
Columbia House
Originally built as a warehouse in 1910 (there is an extensive description of its history and occupants here), the building was converted to affordable housing in 1986.  

Vernon Motors
added January 18, 2021
Vernon Motors
Jim Vernon opened this used car dealership on Commercial Drive in 1946. Years later he moved it to 12th and Kingsway, where he ran it until 1960. After shutting down the car dealership he built the Biltmore Hotel on the property, and ran it until 1979. 

Odd Fellows Grandview Branch
added January 18, 2021
Odd Fellows Grandview Branch
Built in 1922, this Oddfellows branch became a Chinese Mennonite Church in 1981

835 Beatty Street
added January 17, 2021
835 Beatty Street
Anglo Canadian Warehouse employees pose for a photograph before heading off for a picnic in 1925.  The building was completed in 1914

Jewish Community Centre
added January 15, 2021
Jewish Community Centre
Built in 1928 as the first phase of the Jewish Community Centre, plans for a gymnasium and theatre addition had to be abandoned due to the Great Depression.  Nonetheless, the Centre was the hub of Jewish life in Vancouver until 1960. During World War II it served as Canadian Red Cross blood drive centre. Today it is home to the BC Lung Asociation.  

Odd Fellows Hall, Fairview Branch
added January 15, 2021
Odd Fellows Hall, Fairview Branch
The origins of the Odd Fellows organization have been lost over time, although they date back to at least 1745. This lodge, now the home of the Vancouver Chapter, was built a little more recently, in 1922. 

White Manufacturing Company
added January 11, 2021
White Manufacturing Company
This small warehouse was built in 1913 next to the train tracks, and was originally used to service the fur trade. Over the years it housed a variety of merchandise from gloves to mining supplies. For the past twenty years or so it has been home to the Alibi Room, a popular restaurant whose men's room was once lined with the bricks from the St Valentine's Massacre wall.   

Princeton Hotel
added January 10, 2021
Princeton Hotel
Built in 1912 by William Ingram with money from the Klondike gold rush, the hotel cost $17,000 to build and boasted hot and cold running water and a billiards room when it first opened. In 1926 a beer parlour took over the main floor, and is still there almost 100 years later, surrounded by a growing number of craft breweries. 

St. Lukes Home
added January 10, 2021
St. Lukes Home
This was originally the site of Vancouver's first hospital. The present building has been here since 1923, and currently serves as a retirement home. St James Anglican Church can be seen under construction in the background. 

Displaying posts 171 - 180 of 303 in total
Loading...