What's New

Manhattan Housing Co-op
added December 02, 2020
Manhattan Housing Co-op
This well-known building at the corner of Robson and Thurlow was built in 1908 by lumber baron WL Tait. It was about to be demolished in 1979 until a number of residents formed a co-op and saved it. It is currently occupied by low-to-middle income residents, and there is a long line of applicants waiting to get in. You can find a more detailed history of the building here

Strathmore Lodge
added December 02, 2020
Strathmore Lodge
Built in 1911 near what is now called Mole Hill, the Royal Alexandra suffered a major fire in 1927.  After restoration it was rename Strathmore Lodge, and consists of bachelor and 1-bedroom rentals.

Barber-Ellis Building
added December 01, 2020
Barber-Ellis Building
This was the Canadian headquarters for envelope maker Barber-Ellis, who also had a manufacturing facility down the street. In its heyday it produced over 400 million envelopes a year. A large addition was made to the building in later years, and Barber-Ellis was absorbed by Unisource, which in turn was folded into Veritiv

Man crossing Beach Avenue at Davie Street
added December 01, 2020
Man crossing Beach Avenue at Davie Street
There are lots of reference points in these two photographs, the most obvious one being the Berkeley Tower in the background, now dwarfed by others competing for views. The 16-storey building was constructed in 1958, and was the first highrise in the West End.  Photo courtesy City of Vancouver. 

Capitola Pharmacy and Apartments
added December 01, 2020
Capitola Pharmacy and Apartments
 Built in 1909 by John Seabold, an American who left Vancouver to avoid serving in the Great War, abandoning this building and others throughout the West End. 

Smith, Davidson & Wright Building
added December 01, 2020
Smith, Davidson & Wright Building
 From the Vancouver Heritage Foundation: "Smith Davidson & Wright were a wholesale stationers and paper dealer formed in 1907 by Fred Smith, William E. Davidson and Francis Wright. The building was designed by E.E. Blackmore and completed in 1910 on the newly released CPR lands east of Homer. By 1930 the company had expanded to Victoria, Calgary, Saskatoon and Edmonton. In 1953 the Company became Smith Davidson & Lecky. The name is still inscribed over the entrance. The new partner, John Lecky, was married to H.R. MacMillan’s oldest daughter Marion. H.R. MacMillan bought the company for his son-in-law to run. The company also had a warehouse on Granville Island." 

A Kitsilano home on West 7th Avenue
added December 01, 2020
A Kitsilano home on West 7th Avenue
 In 1912, the Titanic sinks, New Mexico becomes a state, and Annie Walker poses on the front porch with her son Eric. 

Dunbar and 17th
added December 01, 2020
Dunbar and 17th
 100 years ago, the corner building used to be a Safeway. 

Broadway and Alma
added December 01, 2020
Broadway and Alma
The only structure surviving today is the street itself.  Rights holder Jack Lindsay under copyright.

House at 2nd Avenue and Waterloo
added December 01, 2020
House at 2nd Avenue and Waterloo
A perfectly preserved home that looks like it could have been built yesterday. 

Displaying posts 111 - 120 of 196 in total
Loading...