The Vancouver Rowing Club
was formed in 1899, and has occupied its current spot in Stanley Park since 1905. The present building was constructed at a cost of $15,000 in 1911. At the 1954 British Empire Games the Canadian eight defeated
the Thames Rowing Club to win the gold medal, a first for Canada in international competition. The building was granted heritage status in 1990. (1920 Stuart Thompson photo from the Vancouver City Archives).