The Niagara Hotel can be seen peeking out from behind the imposing Central City Lodge. The hotel started life in 1912 as the Connaught
, one of many hotels in the area between the CPR station and the city centre. It later became the Niagara Hotel, notable for its famous neon sign
. The wooden building on the corner is Ellesmere Rooms
, a boarding house from 1887 that lasted until the 1940s before it was condemned. In 1993 the Central City Lodge
took over the corner spot.