Ho Ho Chop Suey

view location

The Sun Ah Hotel was built in 1912 by Loo Gee Wing, who made his money during the Klondike Gold Rush, and invested it wisely in Vancouver real estate. The Lung Kong Tien Yee Association has owned the hotel since 1926. The Ho Ho Chop Suey opened in 1954, and catered to the non-Chinese visitor. It's bright neon signage served as a Chinatown landmark for many years. (Paul Yee photograph, copyright City of Vancouver).