The Cadillac Hotel was built in 1912
, and was renamed the Del Mar in 1955. In 1975 it was bought by George Riste
, and became a popular stop for passengers from the nearby Greyhound bus depot. In the 1980s BC Hydro started buying up the block
to build their new headquarters, (which can be seen towering over the Del Mar in the background) but Mr. Riste refused to sell at any price, opting instead to run it as an SRO, leasing the ground floor to a variety of art galleries
. George passed away in 2010 but his family continues to run the Hotel, providing low income housing to residents of the downtown area. 1977 photo copyright City of Vancouver.