In 1911, buildings like this were common, with stores on the ground floor and apartments above. Sadly, most of those old-timers are now gone, but this one has not only survived, it has been returned to its former glory. The Michas
family purchased it in 1958, and painstakingly restored it, retaining many of the original fixtures. (1985 photograph copyright
City of Vancouver).