In 1901 American Industrialist Andrew Carnegie
gave the city $50,000 to replace our library
that had been destroyed in the Great Fire
. The building was made from Indian Arm granite and Gabriola Island sandstone, and cost over 2 million dollars
. Nowadays it operates as the 'living room
' for the downtown East Side, one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Canada.