At the turn of the twentieth century, the foot of Lonsdale Avenue was the transportation hub of the North Shore. The streetcar, ferry to Vancouver, and the Pacific Great Eastern railway all converged here, conduits for a thriving shipbuilding and forestry industry. Paine Hardware
occupied the building's ground floor from 1914 until 1998, when it was destroyed by fire. (1912 photo from Museum of North Vancouver Archives).